March 13, 2012

FUDSec post. Oldie but goodie...

Back in the Spring of 2010 I was given the rare opportunity to contribute to the FUDSec Blog.  I thought long and hard about what I could add to the site, then sat down for a whole 30 minutes of uninterruped, squirrel-less focus and created the Shpantzer Coma Scale of Vendor Lameness and FUD, AKA SCSoVLF.  Kinda has a ring to it, doesn't it...  It was in response to the overhyped marketing and ridiculous bandwagon-jumping by vendors who, due to the economy, were struggling to get a piece of the security spending pie.  When the economy shrinks, the vendors can get desperate to make their numbers and sometimes the sales and marketing machines get ahead of delivery and, you know, real software/hardware/services that actually do anything.

I've spent years as a specialty security VAR/Integrator and still consult to a couple of niche vendors so I understand that it's rough all over...  Still, I'm somewhat old school when it comes to the integrity of the sales process.  Everybody's selling something, whether their consulting services (Ohai 0-day ninjas!) or basic antivirus products trying to stay relevant in an increasingly difficult market.  Regardless, it's never a bad idea to present your wares in a way that will bring you a fanatically loyal following of qualified buyers and the referrals to friends of said qualified buyers.

Be the professional who can legitimately say "You know, I can't do that myself but I know someone who can."

This is a very small industry.  People talk and ask around.  Don't be that one clown who tries to make a quick buck by overdoing it.

I'll be updating the post right here on this site since it's been almost two years and I want to drive some more nails into the FUD coffin as best I can...

For now, here's the original, uncensored, unadulterated and unfiltered version 1.0 of the Shpantzer Coma Scale of Vendor Lameness and FUD...

http://fudsec.com/scsovlf-aka-the-shpantzer-coma-scale-of-vendo

No comments: